The state Motor Vehicle Commission took one step forward Monday, reopening the Eatontown regional and licensing center, and two steps back when two other agencies were closed by coronavirus that afternoon.
The East Orange vehicle and the North Bergen licensing centers both were closed by the MVC late Monday afternoon after an employee tested positive for the coronavirus in both agencies.
The Springfield Vehicle Center closed on Friday after an employee who tested positive was last in the agency on Thursday, March 4, MVC officials said.
That makes a total of 10 agencies closed of 39 in the state. The reopening of Eatontown helped the MVC gain one licensing center after nine had been closed statewide on Friday.
Agencies where employees have tested positive are closed for cleaning and so staff can quarantine. Agencies that have closed are scheduled to reopen on these dates:
- Newark Regional/Licensing Center, Wednesday, March 10.
- Cherry Hill Vehicle Center, Thursday, March 11.
- Rahway Licensing Center, Friday, March 12.
- West Deptford Regional/Licensing Center, Friday, March 12.
- Vineland Licensing Center, Monday, March 15.
- Salem Licensing Center, Monday, March 15.
- Lodi Licensing Center, Monday, March 15.
- Springfield Vehicle Center- Friday, Mar 19.
- North Bergen Licensing Center- Monday, Mar 22.
- East Orange Vehicle Center- Tuesday, Mar 23.
MVC officials remind drivers to double check the the “cheat sheet” guide on the MVC website to determine if they can do their business on line and avoid going to the agency. Drivers should also seek an appointment immediately if they have to go to an agency and not wait until the expiration date of the document gets close, officials said
Appointments at motor vehicle centers for new titles/registrations and registration renewals for customers ineligible for online renewal can be scheduled at NJMVC.gov. More appointment times are being added.
Drivers are advised to check the status of the agency they intend to visit on NJMVC.gov before traveling there.
Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting NJ.com with a subscription.
Larry Higgs may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.